We’ve all heard the stories where a student-athlete suddenly collapses at football, soccer, or lacrosse practice and dies due to sudden cardiac arrest (SCA). With immediate treatment and procedures in place, student lives could be saved in these situations. Education on proper procedures and an emergency action plan just makes sense. That’s why the Maryland legislature has taken action to ensure that Maryland schools have plans and procedures in place to help save lives.
House Bill 836: AED Emergency Action Plan Requirements
Maryland law, as of July 1, 2022, requires each middle school and high school to develop a venue-specific, emergency action plan for the operation and use of automatic external defibrillators (AEDs), and heat acclimatization, as specified. The venue-specific emergency action plan must also include coordination of care for other injuries including cervical spinal injury, concussion and closed head injury, major orthopedic injuries, and severe weather for outdoor facilities.
AEDs have been required in Maryland middle and high schools for some time. However, under this NEW law, schools must now craft AED EAPs that ensure:
- an automated external defibrillator is provided on-site and is located at or within a brief walk from an athletic practice or event on school property.
- an automated external defibrillator is freely accessible during all school functions.
- all members of the coaching staff are trained in the operation and use of an automated external defibrillator.
- a trained member of the coaching staff is present at all athletic practices and events on school property.
EAPs must be posted and distributed, available on the school’s website, and rehearsed before each sports season.
You can reference the new House Bill 836 law here.
AED Programs and Emergency Action Plans (EAPs) for Maryland Athletic Departments
Given that Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) is the #1 killer of student-athletes and the leading cause of death on school campuses, it makes sense that the prevention protocol is a part of all athletic sports programs.
With the concern and necessity for immediate action and implementation, Rescue One is available to assist Maryland athletic directors and staff with:
- Providing AED Program Management Services to include providing an EAP/CERP (Emergency Action Plan/Cardiac Emergency Response Plan) template, medical oversight/direction, AED tracking, automatic notifications of expired supplies and AED check reminders, free AED supplies, and AED annual servicing’s
- Providing CPR/AED Training
- Purchasing of additional AEDs, as needed
- Purchasing an AED Backpack (includes AED, ready kit, backpack, first aid kit, and bleeding control kit)
Let Rescue One help your school with AED compliance and support.
Call us today: (301) 740-3390 | Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org